Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Gleanings: January 20, 2013

The Lives They Lived: Maurice Sendak – NYTimes.com



Live your life, live your life, live your life.


Read the full story …



My So-Called Stalker: Negotiations with fear, obsession, and the D.C. police – Washington City Paper



I left the station dejected, but I consoled myself by rationalizing that I at least had a report on file to show my concern. I spent a distracted cocktail hour talking with my best friend, Rita, bewildered at how the laws were set up to protect Ron and not me.


Read the full story …



Satanic Panic Reading List



because once you start reading about this stuff, it can get a little obsessive


Read the full story …



The American Scholar: Demons Where Once There Were None – Jessica Love



What can people be persuaded, knowingly or not, to believe? Researchers once convinced four college students that as children they had probably witnessed demonic possession.


Read the full story …



What Makes Us Happy? – Joshua Wolf Shenk – The Atlantic



Maturation makes liars of us all.


Read the full story …



Murmuration. The poetry of the morning walk. : The Last Word On Nothing



If nature has ever produced a more perfect thing than the mesmerizing beauty of this starling swarm, I have yet to encounter it. No other phenomenon has ever stopped me in my tracks quite like this, made me forget everything else in the world except the brief moment of grace unfolding before me.


Read the full story …



The psychology of anthropomorphism, or why I felt empathy towards a piece of trash : The Last Word On Nothing



The bird had a right not to be thrown away, which made me want to rescue it. Its tiny size may have helped, Waytz adds, as we especially charge small animals or objects with emotion.


Read the full story …



Untangling the Mysteries of Alzheimer’s: Scientific American



One in eight Americans have Alzheimer’s disease.


Read the full story …







from Michael Hartford Blogger http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MichaelHartford/~3/MDXB-F5VtIQ/

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment