Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Ravine by Ray Bradbury

The nights are getting longer, the trees barer, the wind chillier … for me, October is the kickoff to the season of spooky stories (which culminates, of course, with the tradition of Victorian ghost stories at Christmas time). And so this month, I’d like to share some of my favorite spooky tales.


Ray Bradbury’s “The Ravine” is a chapter in Dandelion Wine, and has also had a successful life on its own; I first ran into it in a wonderful Alfred Hitchcock collection, “Stories for Late at Night.” When I walk the dogs at night along the Mississippi River, up above the bluffs between Lake Street and Ford Parkway, I often think of this story, and it never fails to give me the chills.


This radio version captures the bravado and fear in just the right mix.






from Michael Hartford Blogger http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MichaelHartford/~3/7ZtTNWplqSA/

via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment